Saturday, April 7, 2012

Vegan Sweet Potato & Quinoa Muffins


I'm sure it is quite obvious that I love carbohydrates so I made another attempt to at least put a little bit of "health" into my carbs.  I had a lonely sweet potato that had been left out of my quiche with sweet potato crust so I decided to make vegan sweet potato & quinoa muffins.  *Nomnomnom*  Of course I ended up with left over quinoa so a savory quinoa recipe will follow this one.  


Vegan Sweet Potato & Quinoa Muffins

1 & 1/4 cups wheat flour
2/3 cups brown sugar
1 ts pumpkin spice
1 ts baking powder
1 ts salt
3/4 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup almond milk
1 sweet potato, cooked & mashed (skin discarded)
4 tb Earth Balance spread, melted
2 ts vanilla extract
1 tb canola oil

Topping

1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tb wheat flour
1/2 ts pumpkin spice
2 tb Earth Balance spread, melted 

Makes 12 muffins.

- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine wheat flour, brown sugar, pumpkin spice, baking powder, & salt in a bowl.
- Thoroughly mix sweet potato, almond milk, Earth Balance spread, vanilla extract, & canola oil in a separate bowl.  
- Slowly mid the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.  Stir until just combined.
- Fold in cooked quinoa.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the topping ingredients.
- Either grease & flour a muffin pan or use cupcake liners.
- Fill 3/4 of each compartment with the batter & top with the almond topping.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.



Yuuuummmmmm!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment