Sunday, April 22, 2012

Vegan Butternut Squash Bread

Going grocery shopping when you have a hungry tummy is NEVER a good idea - especially when you go to Costco where everything portioned for giants or for a family of ten.  What happens when I go to Costco on an empty stomach?  I end up purchasing almost everything that looks delicious within sight.  This time around my Costco loot included a really large container of pre-cut butternut squash.  It was never on my grocery list but I saw it & my stomach told me I had to have it despite the quantity of squash per container. What do I do with all that squash?  How about bread?  

I love my sweets but I tend to like my level of sweetness to be on the low to mid-range so if that is your level as well then you will absolutely love this bread.  Baked goods are not exactly healthy but I like to rationalize & convince myself that certain baked goods are fine.  Should one eat a chocolate chip cookie?  Well, it has chocolate which has antioxidants & that is good for our bodies.  Should one eat a scone?  Sure, the raspberries in it provide antioxidants, manganese, iron, fiber, & vitamin C! Well, how about butternut squash bread?  Um, yeah!  It has plenty of fiber, magnesium, potassium, as well as vitamins A, C, & E!  Who wouldn't want all that awesome nutrition for your body? 

So let us all make some butternut squash bread to get our nutrition!  





Vegan Butternut Squash Bread

2 & 1/2 cups cooked & pureed butternut squash
1/2 cup canola oil (or butter for vegan-less)
3 tb ground flax seed & 9 tb water (or 3 large eggs for vegan-less)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease & flour two loaf pans.
- Beat sugars, oil, flax seed, & water on high for a few minutes until thoroughly combined.
- Add squash & mix on medium-low speed until thoroughly combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients & mix on low speed until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into both loaf pans & bake for about 50 minutes or a toothpick comes out clean.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this recipe :) I am going to give it a try using vegan butter. Do I have to melt the butter first?

    ReplyDelete