Saturday, April 7, 2012

Modified 韭菜盒子- Jiucai Hezi - Chinese Chive Pastries (Without the Pastry)

One of my favorite foods is 韭菜盒子, also known as Chinese chive pastries.  The smell & taste of Chinese chive pastries always bring back such sweet memories of my grandmother in the kitchen.  I consider her to be my muse whenever I cook mainland Chinese & Taiwanese food.  I always try to make my food as good as hers but I have never managed to succeed in doing so - it must be because I'm missing that secret & awesome grandma ingredient. 


I decided to recreate a healthier version 韭菜盒子 by omitting the meat & pastry as well as replacing bean thread / Chinese vermicelli with quinoa (the leftover quinoa from my vegan sweet potato & quinoa muffin foray).  Turned out so delicious!  I will post my actual 韭菜盒子 recipe sometime in the near future.

As you all know, I am making an effort to eat healthier (of which I have failed to do on several occasions) so that I can beat my friends in this weight throwdown, gloat in their faces, & donate the winnings to Not For Sale - a non-profit organization that aims to bring awareness to modern-day slavery.  I highly recommend everyone to take a moment to educate themselves on modern-day slavery.  So many of us lead extremely blessed lives because we have the freedom to be happy but not everyone has such freedom.  We, humans, are compassionate creatures & should care for one another - not take advantage of one another for our own benefits. 


Modified 韭菜盒子- Jiucai Hezi -  Chinese Chive Filling

1 & 1/4 cups quinoa, cooked
1/2 lb Chinese chives(韭菜 - jiucai), chopped
4 squares Chinese five-spice tofu (豆干 - dougan), chopped
4 eggs, scrambled
3 ts salt
1 tb sesame oil
1/4 ts white pepper

- Saute everything together on medium-low heat until Chinese chives are fragrant.

So easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment