Monday, March 12, 2012

Steel Cut Oatmeal With Apples

Breakfast is considered by many to be the most important meal of the day because your body has basically been deprived of fuel for xx hours depending on your last meal.  Skipping breakfast would tack on additional hours of fuel deprivation which then forces your body to recalculate its metabolism rate - it usually slows down your metabolism to conserve energy.  So one of the rules I am absolutely strict about is that I must always eat breakfast.  

Often times I would be on the go so my breakfasts would end up being things like bagels, donuts, & etc - basically high in refined carbohydrates & sugar, low in nutritional value.  As a result, I would be hungry again in an hour & eat multiple snacks to get me through to lunch.  I would like to get out of my grazing habit so I'm trying steel cut oats this week.  Steel cut oats are considered complex carbohydrates, meaning it takes longer for your body to digest allowing slower & consistent release of insulin.  You want to stay away from refined carbohydrates because it makes it a lot easier for your body to process the insulin all at once which causes insulin spikes that signal your body to store fat instead of burn it.  Also, you do not get hungry as easily with complex carbohydrates because your body takes longer to digest it.

Let me tell you, eating oatmeal sure does curb those hunger pangs before lunch.  So much so that I still wasn't hungry by the time lunch rolled around!  I am definitely going to continue eating oatmeal for breakfast this week.  



I made steel cut oatmeal with apples that is made in a slow cooker overnight.  I could eat this all day long because 
A) it has apples (who doesn't like apples?) 
B) apples keep the doctor away
C) tastes delicious
D) involves so little effort to make

Steel Cut Oatmeal With Apples

4 apples, peeled, cored & diced
3 cups milk
1 cup uncooked steel cut oats
1/2 ts cinnamon
2 ts ground flax seed 


Makes about 5 servings.


- Put everything in a slow cooker on low heat for 7-8 hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment