Friday, April 22, 2011

Hearty Chicken Soup For The Soul (Or Sickly)

I've been working on about week FOUR trying to recover from a cold of sorts that has managed to come back with a mean vengeance TWICE!  I have been told to eat chicken soup to help my body battle this nasty virus that's gone around town and back.  Apparently chicken soup is good for you when you're sick because it is comforting, hearty and nutritious.  And I don't know about you but when I'm sick, I can always go for more liquids in my body.  So here's my lovely version of chicken soup with rice!



Chicken Soup with Rice

2 tb olive oil
2 cups chicken breast, cubed
1 onion, chopped
2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
5 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup carrots, chopped (fresh or frozen)
1/4 peas (fresh or frozen)
1/4 sweet corn (fresh or frozen)
1/4 cup green beans, chopped (fresh or frozen)
1/4 bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks green onion, chopped
1 & 1/2 ts Italian seasoning
1/2 cup rice, uncooked
salt & freshly ground pepper to taste


- Combine olive oil, chicken, garlic, and onion in a pot and saute until chicken is done.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot, reduce the heat and simmer for about 30-40 minutes.
- Eat to your health's content!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment