Sunday, April 17, 2011

Æbleskiver (aka Danish Pancakes)


What is an Æbleskiver, you ask?  Well, it's a type of pancake shaped like a ball.  They are often hiding cheese, meats, jam, basically any food you want in their centers.  These little guys are so light, fluffy and delicious!  I'd eat these everyday if I could and I doubt I would ever tire of these since you can put anything in them and enjoy a different flavor every day.  They're also very portable because they are easy to pack and eat without utensils - in other words, you'll see me eating these while driving in my car.  The only downside of Æbleskivers are that you must have an Æbleskiver pan to make them.  But do not fear, the pan has other uses as well.  I like household items that are multi-functional because then I have less clutter and feel like I'm getting my bang for my buck.  You can use this pan for making takoyaki or kuzhi paniyaram as well - I have not attempted the latter yet.

Æbleskiver

1 cup flour 
1 tb granulated sugar 
2 ts baking powder 
1 cup lukewarm milk 
2 eggs, yolks and whites separated 
Frozen butter 
Any filling or topping you want 

- Combine flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl. 
- In another bowl, mix milk and egg yolks until well combined. 
- Add flour mixture to the milk mixture bowl and stir until there are no lumps.  
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until fluffy and stiff peaks form. 
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.   
- Heat your Æbleskiver pan on medium heat and place a tiny sliver of butter in each compartment. 
- When the pan is thoroughly heated, place batter in each compartment such that each compartment is about 2/3 full.  The batter will puff up and spill over if it is any more than 2/3 full. 
- Cook for about 2 minutes and take a skewer or knitting needle (if you want to go all out and be traditional) and carefully slide the cooked half 90 degrees and slip whatever little surprise you want to put in the middle.  Then slide the cooked half another 180 degrees so that it is on top to allow the rest of the batter to sink into the compartment to form the ball shape.  
- Cook for another 2 minutes or so until the center comes out clean when poked with a toothpick. 
- Use the toothpick, skewer or knitting needle to gently remove the yummy Æbleskivers and serve with jam, syrup, powdered sugar, or naked. 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment